My husband has had to work so much, even on Fathers Day he worked until 2:00 or 2:30; however, we spent a nice afternoon at the pool and his special dinner request was stuffed red bell peppers. Coincidentally, just a week ago, I had come across a recipe ( from a health magazine no less) that I had saved and had 'stuffed' in an old binder. We were both pleasantly pleased with how they turned out!
Stuffed Red Bell Peppers- By Susan Irby, The Bikini Chef
- 4 red bell peppers, tops sliced, seeds removed
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey- or in my case I used Jenny-O Spicy Turkey Sausage
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tblsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- 3 cremini mushrooms, chopped ( I omitted)
- 1/4 cup fresh frozen kernel corn, ( about 1 large ear of corn)
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Sea Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked white, brown or basmati rice ( I used brown)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In large saucepan over medium heat, add turkey and saute until beginning to brown. Add onion and garlic. Saute until tender and turkey is browned. Add thyme, sage, mushrooms, corn, broccoli and saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Add cayenne pepper, and season with salt and pepper. Add rice and mix well.
Using a kitchen spoon, spoon rice mixture into peppers, pressing down to stuff. Transfer stuffed peppers to an iron skillet or small roasting pan, standing up, place tops on top ( its ok, if peppers are overstuffed.) Place in oven. Bake 40 minutes or until peppers are tender, but still slightly firm. Remove from heat and serve.
Susan Irby, the Bikini Chef is a radio host, author and specialist in healthy "bikini" cuisine.