Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Grilled Chicken Breast with Roast Potatoes, Crispy Blanched Green Beans, Thyme Tomatoes

Today, after a camping weekend along the Sequoia National Forest, and cooking with limited supplies, a wood fire , yet the freshest ingredients I was rejuvenated into the cooking world and searching any and all recipes I could find. Although I love to cook, I often find myself unmotivated until... I find recipes that entice me- but while in the kitchen, two things have to happen; First, I have to have background noise- either the tv or my ipod and secondly a clean kitchen- however, I'm not very good at being the type who cleans as I go- so that is something I will work on.

The recipe today comes from the FitTV show that I TIVO: A Lyon in the Kitchen


My husband found this recipe to be a winner, rating all but the green beans between a 9.5-10.0! I found the portions of this to be rather small for the big eater that he is- so now I know to double up on what the recipe calls for, but the potatoes had a savory yet refreshing taste, and the tomatoes were so flavorful, he even ended up putting some on triscuits with goat cheese and said to make more next time!



Ingredients:

  • 2 yellow potatoes, quartered
  • Zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
  • EVOO, as needed
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 tablespoon freshly picked thyme
  • 1/3 pound thin green beans, stem end removed
  • 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
  • Kosher salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • bowl of ice water


Directions: In a medium sized bowl, combine the tomatoes with a dash of salt, a few good grinds of black pepper, thyme, and a good drizzle of EVOO, then transfer to an oven set to 350 degrees, for 20-25 minutes. This is your sauce. In the same bowl used for first recipe (why dirty a second bowl?), toss together the potatoes, lemon zest, rosemary, a good drizzle of EVOO, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Transfer to a sheet pan and place in the same oven set at 350 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes until nicely colored, stirring once to prevent burning. In a small pot with boiling water add enough salt until it tastes like the ocean, then cook the green beans for 1 to 2 minutes. The beans should be cooked but still have some snap remaining. Drain and immediately transfer to the bowl of ice water. Drain once the beans are cooled.


For the chicken breasts: Sandwich the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them evenly to 1/3 inch in thickness. Season with salt and pepper and grill until when cut, the juice runs clear, approximately 3 minutes on each side. Serve the vegetables with an optional spritz of lemon juice to taste, topped with the sliced chicken, in addition to a nice spoonful of roast tomatoes.

1 comment: